June 26, 2009

Another Bush Legacy

I've been goofing with the motion charts in the google documents, which are very cool. For proof, beyond what I'm posting here check on Ted.com.

I'm wondering if this will display correctly. The interesting thing that I've seen with the gadget is in just about every state from 2000 to 2006, there was an increase in unemployment and poverty during the recession. The odd thing is that as unemployment returned to generally even lower levels than before the recession, the poverty tended to increase even more. So we end up with lower unemployment, but more poverty. That ain't easy.

Putting the poverty rate on the vertical y-axis, the unemployment rate on the horizontal x-axis. I like to set the colors to be unique and the size of the bubbles to the total number of completers. I originally started playing with this in the context of education, but education seems to lack interesting cycles in this data. Anyhow, add some trails for your favorite state and enjoy.



1 comment:

Chris said...

Looks good in Firefox. (The gadget, not the data.) Though I will have to study a bit to understand it.

You are always coming up with something I should already know about. We totally should have lunch soon.